April 13, 2014

Meal Plan || Number Two

Meal Plan || Number Two 

Happy Sunday everyone! Our meal plan for this past week. I'll include recipes or links to the recipes I used. I'll also include any modification, notes, or LOVES (favorite products/ingredients). 

Weekly Meal Plan, Number Two, The Graffitied Gardenia Blog
Meal Plan || Number Two


Side note - COMMON BREAKFAST AND LUNCH in our house 
Breakfast selections: Yogurt, cold cereal, oatmeal, toast, and/or fruit. 
Lunch selections: Leftovers, peanut butter and jelly, fruit, raw vegetables, or use monthly spending money to get whatever you want. 

~THIS WEEK~

MONDAY 
Pork Chops, pasta salad, cantaloupe 
The husband cooked the pork chops in this really cool cooker. Its a Char-Broil The Big Easy Oil-less Turkey Fryer he got it for Christmas a few years ago. We love it! Hooks up to a propane tank, he's made ribs and roasts in there too. The roast is outstanding! He's a great cook and really creative with flavors and seasonings.

If you got a man that is handsome, smells good, treats you nice, and can cook....you better take good care of him! I really hit the jackpot, that's for sure.

Loves: Pasta Salad, huge fan of Betty Crocker Suddenly Pasta Salad - Classic. So simple and delicious, great to have on hand, less than $2.00 a box, which is less expensive than buying the ingredients individually. I usually have two stocked in my pantry, it's a great last minute side if needed. I make a lot of things homemade, but if I find something that I like I have no problem using boxed or pre-made items. 

Sweet and Sour Chicken


TUESDAY
Homemade Sweet and Sour Chicken, rice, and a green salad
This Sweet and Sour Chicken recipe is all over Pinterest. I tried it the first time, the dude was not into it. It calls for ½ cup apple cider vinegar so it was pretty vinegary and our whole house smelled like vinegar. But I still loved it so I wanted to try it again with a modificaiton - I subbed half the vinegar with pineapple juice. I thought it was super tasty, but not as crispy. The man is still not down with it. So this will go on my chick gathering or dudes not home menu, it's clearly a loved recipe with the amount of Pinterest attentions it's gotten.

I also added pineapple chunks and bell peppers to the chicken while in the oven at the half way mark. Served on rice and sprinkled with black sesame seeds. I highly recommend trying this recipe at least once! Also, add a little Sriracha to the sauce for some heat, if you like. I'm serious, please try this recipe, it's better than any take-out sweet and sour chicken I've ever had. The leftovers heat up nicely too, just not crispy but that's expected.

Me and two of my friends love trying new recipes on Pinterest or other places, whenever we try something new we send pics to each other and say if we love, hate, or would try again with changes. It's pretty awesome! We have all tried this recipe and love it.
Recipe: Mel's Kitchen Cafe Sweet and Sour Chicken


Homemade Pico De Gallo, weekly meal planning, The Graffitied Gardenia blog
Fresh Pico De Gallo

WEDNESDAY ~ 30 Minute Meal, Hot Weather Meal
Cheese quesadillas (with fresh sliced jalapeƱos for the man plain cheese for me), refried beans, and fresh homemade pico de gallo
Loves: For cheese I used sharp cheddar and pepper jack, this is my favorite combo. Fresh pico or salsa is the best thing ever {heart} Add fresh mango and/or fresh pineapple for a fruit pico, equally as tasty.

Pico De Gallo 

Ingredients

  • 1/2-1 Yellow Onion Diced
  • 4-6 whole Roma Tomatoes Diced
  • 1 whole Jalapeno Diced Finely
  • 1/2 bunch Cilantro Chopped
  • 1 Lime Juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon Salt

Directions

  1. Cut, mix, taste add any needed ingredients.

Powered by
Plan To Eat

THURSDAY ~ 30 Minute Meal 
Leftovers

FRIDAY
Date night 

SUNDAY ~ 30 Minute Meal, Hot Weather Meal
Kielbasa, rice, and a green salad
Kielbasa I like to slice into bite size pieces and cook in a cast iron skilled on the stove, a little burnt is my favorite. It's funny growing up we had kielbasa and rice for dinner often, so whenever I make this I feel like a kid again. 

Good inexpensive dinner as well. Kielbasa is under $3 (usually with coupon $2), rice is under a $1 depending on what kind of rice you eat. We like white rice (pretty sure from living in Hawaii, I got so used to eating white rice everyday I crave it now) which is about a quarter a serving, lettuce is under $1. So dinner for under $5 for two people, plus enough for 1-2 lunches, depending on how much you eat. 

Leftover Kielbasa ideas: Served with pancakes, as a sandwich, omelet, loco moco, or diced with eggs and potatoes for a breakfast burrito. 

I love old family pictures

SWEETS 
Homemade Banana Bread
This recipe I will not give you (sorry), but will share a story. The banana bread recipe belonged to my husband's great grandparents (picture above), on his mom's side. His mom makes it all the time and he grew up eating and loving this banana bread. When we lived in Hawaii together, his mom would bake two loafs and send them to us; this was the first time I tried it. It was everything I had heard it was. 

When we got engaged, his mom gave me the recipe. It was my favorite gift, I don't even think she knows how much it meant to me. I love recipes, then to received a recipe that's been passed down, I tear up just thinking about it. One day if we have kids, it's going to bring me so much joy to pass on this recipe. I remember the first time I made it I was so nervous, I waited for him to take the first bite....and.....do you like it??? He said, "My mom is the banana bread queen, but you are the banana bread princess!" Works for me! I'm much rather be the princess. 

Mini bake in loaf pans, prefect for gifts! The Graffitied Gardenia blog
Mini bake in loaf pans! How cute!!

I found the cutest disposable bake in mini loaf pans at TJMaxx, love them! So if the banana bread turns out good (tastes good and not like cardboard) in the mini loafs. This will be delivered to my neighbors tomorrow. Could also be my new favorite gift, maybe mini carrot cakes next time!!!

Update: Pans worked great and so cute! I'll definatly be on the lookout for these again. Super cute wrapped in plastic wrap with bakers string and a label! Easy to use as well, just pour the batter in and bake as normal (no need to spray with non-stick), safe for up to 400 degrees; at least that's how these worked. 

Check back next Sunday for meal plan number three. 
Have a wonderful week! 

xoxojolleen
{you are beautiful and wonderfully made} 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear from you...