July 21, 2014

Weekly Menu || Number 15 {Summer Edition}

My weekly menu, number fifteen ~ Summer edition. 

Up this week - The rest of the homemade BBQ sauce in use, deli sandwiches, and individual cherry almond crisps!


Weekly Menu, recipes included. The Graffitied Gardenia



Weekly Menu, recipes included. The Graffitied Gardenia
~ Weekly Menu ~
I fill in what I'm planning for the week
then add all needed ingredients in the bottom section. 

Weekly Menu, recipes included. The Graffitied Gardenia
I take this list to my
kitchen and cross off anything I already have on hand.
Whatever items are not crossed off the menu list, are items
I need to buy that week

Weekly Menu, recipes included. The Graffitied Gardenia
~ Shopping List ~
I then add them to my shopping list.
 (Since I do my meal planning for a month at a time and
buy all my non-perishables at the beginning of the month,
my weekly shopping trips are minimal, for the rest of the
month. The budget is my balance remaining for the month.)


_____

>> Monday >> 

BBQ Chicken Sandwiches 
Side: Diced Potatoes and Pickle Spears
{30 minute meal, warm weather eats, rotisserie chicken leftovers}

I had leftover homemade BBQ sauce from last week that I made for my pork chops. I was so excited to try it with something different this week. This was perfect and SO easy! I also had leftover shredded rotisserie chicken in the freezer, I thawed it in the fridge overnight. Then about 15 minutes before we were ready to eat, I put the shredded chicken and all the leftover BBQ sauce in a medium sauce pan and warmed it. So delicious and so quick! Great way to use up two leftover items!!

I made diced potatoes for our side.

Money Talk: Check what you have in the kitchen when you're planing your meals. Using what you have on hand saves you money in two ways.
1. You don't buy unnecessary items.
2. You don't throw away food that's gone bad because you forgot about it.

Cost breakdown for this dinner:
Homemade BBQ sauce - leftover
Chicken - leftover
Potatoes - had in the fridge
Pickles - had in the fridge
Roll for hubby's sandwich - 50 cents
I had my sandwich on leftover focaccia bread - leftover
So dinner for two, by using on hand items, cost me 50 cents! Gold star for me.


{my recipe}

Diced Potatoes with Garlic 

Ingredients

  • potatoes
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • salt
  • pepper
  • paprika
  • garlic powder
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced

Directions

  1. Wash potatoes
  2. Dice potatoes
  3. Put potatoes in a microwave safe glass bowl and cover with saran wrap. Microwave until tender, use microwave potato button.
  4. Finish potatoes with butter/oil in 12-inch skillet, med-high heat until brown and crispy (add more butter if needed) on the outside, soft on inside, seasoning to taste with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika (about 10 minutes).
  5. Last 30 seconds toss in garlic till fragrant
  6. Serve

_____

>> Tuesday >>


Super easy veggie rice bowls! The Graffitied Gardenia


Veggie Rice Bowls
{30 minute meal, hot weather eats}

Summer regular.
I make a pot of rice and slice up whatever veggies we have and warm them in a pan with Shoyu (soy sauce) and Panda Express Mandarin Sauce (you can buy it at Walmart). Then pour it over the rice, it's so good!

This week we had: Rice, tomatoes, mini sweet peppers, carrots, cashews, and cilantro (from my garden), sprinkled with my Rice Sprinkle (black sesame seeds and sea salt).

_____

>> Wednesday >>

Cold (deli) Ham and Cheese Sandwiches 
Side: Blueberries (we had blueberries instead of pasta salad)  
{30 minute meal, hot weather eats}

That's a good summer dinner! We used tomatoes from my garden for the sandwiches!!!

_____

>> Thursday >>

Leftover Clear Out 
{30 minute meal, hot weather eats}

Anything that needs to be eaten from the week comes out and everyone creates their own meal with those items. If we don't have any leftovers, then we make something from pantry/fridge staples.

_____

>> Friday >>

Date Night

_____

>> Sunday >>

{leftover/freezer} Baked Ziti
Side: Salad
{30 minute meal, warm weather eats}

I've labeled this 30 minutes and warm weather eats because this was in our freezer. I made it a couple months ago. After baking and cooling I froze half. On Saturday night, I put the frozen cooked ziti in the fridge to defrost overnight. It warms up perfectly; since it's hot out I just warmed individual pieces in the microwave for dinner tonight.

The rest of it I portioned for easy lunch grabs this week. The leftover ziti was enough for dinner for two and three lunch portion containers.

_____

>> Sweet >>


Cherry almond crisp, so good! The Graffitied Gardenia


Cherry Almond Crisp  

YUM!!! Monday was the finale of 24 and God blessed me with a nice 70 degree day so I baked!
I made these lovely individual cherry almond crisps and my honey's parents came over and watched with us. If you like almond desserts, make this please!

Cherry Almond Crisp Recipe: Pioneer Woman Individual Cherry Almond Crisps
_____

What's your best budget saving dinner favorite?

xoxojolleen
{you are beautiful and wonderfully made}

_____

<< other posts you might enjoy >>


How to create a Meal Plan || Part One 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear from you...